Thursday 19 May 2011

Sick on the meseta/Sick of the meseta/finally off the meseta!

I´m a little worried this blog is becoming a catalogue of disasters and ailments, but arriving in Leon yesterday 3days later than anticipated was hopefully the end of my disasterous jaunt across the dreaded meseta, where the villages are ghost towns, and where you can walk for 20K without seeing a single feature, no water, no shade, no buildings NOTHING! After recovering from the heinous pus in the foot, I was struck down with the most horrific vomiting bug- they do say you must suffer to be a pilgrim! I caused some drama when I arrived at the convent where I had planned to stay  and nearly collapsed (hiking in 30deg heat when you are massively dehydrated is not advisable). "Oh dear, she seems very ill, do you think it´s the heat?" "Maybe she is tired, are you tired senorita?" Me: "Bleuugghh", "Ah, I think she is ill!".
So I got myself a private room with TV and bathroom (what a treat!) and a nurse came to see me who entertained me with some elaborate miming before realising I speak Spanish (imagine a 60 year old Spanish lady miming "did you eat seafood") and after 2 days I was more or less recovered and had come to 2 conclusions:
1.Spanish TV is really weird.
2.People who are fussy/careful about what they eat abroad are perhaps not, as I always thought, boring and paranoid, but maybe sensible, and maybe, maybe, my "if it smells good, eat it" philosophy needs reviewing.

So was ready to hit the long, long straight, flat, hot dusty NEVER ENDING road across the meseta again, and met up with a girl I had met on the first night which was nice. We then managed to get lost which was less nice. People say it is impossible to get lost on the meseta as you just go in a straight line, but if you go in a straight line in the wrong direction, it is very easy to get verrry lost, as it turns out, one endless expanse of brown  looks very much every other endless expanse of brown. We eventually found our way again after retracing our footsteps, but I have to say there are few things more depressing than arriving at the village where you started at 10am having started the day at 6am!

So I´m now in Villadangos del Paramo having finally passed Leon yesterday and I´m so glad to have escaped the meseta alive! I got blessed by nuns last night too, so now nothing more can possibly go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment